2018 brings a year of unexpected change to the South Bay as we prepare to celebrate Independence Day at the beach. The city of Redondo Beach has hosted an annual 4th of July fireworks show in South Redondo at Seaside Lagoon, but that event has been scrambled this year as locals attempted to carry on a long standing tradtion of a privately sponsored fireworks show from a barge off of Torrance Beach. That attempt fell flat due to unexpectedly high permit fees for the event. In anticipation of the Torrance Beach barge show, the City of Redondo Beach decided this year to move the Seaside Lagoon event to Sunday July 1.
So, to recap, there WILL be fireworks at the beach this yeear, but NOT on the 4th of July. They will be this Sunday, July 1 starting at appx. 8:45 pm. *REMINDER: Fireworks are illegal in the Beach Cities and law enforcement does crack down on individuals caught with illegal fireworks. Stay safe and enjoy the holiday!*
This could be a a great year to start som new traditions, kicking off with the City of Manhattan Beach's Salute to the Troops picnic and concert hosted at Polliwog Park which is also this Sunday, from 5-7 pm. After enjoying live music by the Navy Band Southwest, take advantage of that roofdeck if you have one and pop up top to catch the Redondo fireworks.
This year if you want to get up close and personal with a local fireworks show ON JULY 4, these are the best options within the boundaries of the South Bay:
1) Stevenson Field in El Segundo is the site of a day-long 4th of July event that ends with fireworks and music in the evening. A small fee of $5 gets you a ticket to enjoy this all day celebration that starts at 10 am.
2) Torrance - Grandstand seating will be set up at the courthouse on Maple Ave and also at the nearby Toyota Sports Complex, but admission tickets will be required. This is a great one to catch from your roofdeck looking east!
3) Many residents along the east side of PV and San Pedro will have a great vantage point to enjoy the free fireworks show at the Port of L.A., which starts at 9 pm.
4) The City of Carson will be able to enjoy a post Galaxy game fireworks extravaganza! The game starts at 7:30 with the fireworks show beginning right afterwards. The StubHub Center is your map pin for the center of the activity on July 4th in Carson.
Other great events to consider as part of your July 4th celebration are:
1) The 4th of July 5k that kicks off at 8am in the Riviera Village, sponsored by The Village Runner.
2) The 43rd Annual Fourth of July Celebration sponsred by the City of Rancho Palos Verdes. 11am - 5pm at the Point Vicente Park and Civic Center.
3) The July 4th 2018 Ironman - Run, Paddle, Chug which is a Hermosa Beach tradition that starts at 9 am and requires a $20 entry fee.
4) The City of Manhattan Beach 4th of July Pool Party Celebration with games & music will be hosted at Begg Pool from 10 am to 2 pm. You are encouraged to bring along a picnic lunch.
5) The Palos Verdes Old Fashioned 4th of July is a free comunity event that starts at 9:30 am at Malaga Cove school and includes a bike parade, food and family games.